Cleaning up the CAD...

Notifications
Clear all

Cleaning up the CAD File and some file confusion.

(@malakai)
Topic starter  

First off. Amazing job, you can tell that you put a ton of work into this. I can't wait to start building this. 

Now for the files. Are the STL's everything thats needed, because the CAD has some bodies that I can't find in STL form. Stuff like Body 5 and 6 shown here.

https://imgur.com/a/T7tTMLk

Now as for the cad.... Its a bit rough. Bodies aren't named correctly. Things aren't split out into components. This means jumping from area to area in CAD is a major hassle. It must take you a ton of time to export everything and then rename them correctly. 

Because of this I spent some time cleaning up and reorganizing the cad. Sections are broken up by axis, pulleys, nuts&bolts, electronics, belts are separate components. Initial joint rotations are set. This would let you remove or export entire sections and re-link in to save on resources. I also tried matching all the STL filenames with the bodies so no more Body125 and so on. The only thing I haven't worked on is the reductor/gearboxes. 

If you want it Arctos I will gladly send it to you to review. Maybe it will help. Or perhaps you already have a version already organized. In any case I hope it helps and I do plan on making modifications/improvements/grippers. 

I obviously will not share this file with anyone else so no one ask.

Attached is a screenshot. 

Topic Tags
CAD
(@admin)
Member Admin

Thanks a lot, you are just starting to realize how much work I put into this. 
To put you in the perspective here is the pic of some of the versions I made so far. 
https://prnt.sc/ELmIP40PnhUj

Also in the attachment I showed some bodies/sketches/features count. When you work with 
10yo i3 pc where everything is slow and you just want to progress as fast as you can things went out of control at some point. So naming each part and not knowing for sure if it will go into the final version would be so much stress for me. 

Yes STLs have everything you need, that parts in CAD just slipped out of my eye. 

Oh man this is awesome. You made a great job organizing everything. Also I have to be honest, organizing is not my best side. That is one of the reasons I wanted to collaborate with all of you. We are stronger together, and I hope we can make wonders if we continue to develop this project. 

Thanks a lot for your awesome contribution. Of course I will put it into the latest version. 
You can send it to me at arctosrobotics@gmail.com 

Also the color combo is neat! 

ReplyQuote
(@malakai)
Topic starter  

Uploaded to my google drive since its so big and sent you an email link for it. Enjoy

ReplyQuote
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hey man, I tried to open it but the Fusion said the file is corrupted.

ReplyQuote
Bernd
(@bernd)
Eminent Member

@malakai Kudos, that sounds like a lot of work.
My son and I are working with the freeware version of Fusion 360 and have also already tried to create a new editable component from a body of the overall STL. That works too, but then the timeline with the sketches is missing ...
Also, to see and understand internally located components, we always hide all interfering parts. Would this be easier with the revised version ? And could we also open the original CAD files for editing in Fusion 360 ?
Sorry, but we also just started to deal with all these issues (incl. Fusion 360) 6 weeks ago.

ReplyQuote
(@malakai)
Topic starter  

@bernd 

If you open the CAD file (f3z) It will import itself into Fusion which includes all the sketches, bodies, linked items, decals and subcomponents. These are solid bodies that you can edit more easily than trying to edit STL meshes.

Yes you can hide components and bodies to make things easier to navigate. The problem with the base cad file provided is its not broken out into separate components and bodies aren't labeled properly. 

As for the timeline, a project this big with multiple organic like curves means you will often break the timeline rendering it useless. I often switch to direct editing mode (Right click the very top object and select Do no capture history).

This clears the timeline and allows you to perform some functions that were not possible before. I will then recapture history when I'm happy with my changes. Switching between the two modes as needed. This does mean that I lose timeline and make old sketches nearly worthless, but that is how I use like using CAD as I care more about direct editing some surfaces. 

Been doing some editing of my own. B Core is being split apart and using heat set inserts for the outer panel mounting. 

ReplyQuote
Bernd
(@bernd)
Eminent Member

@malakai I was built in 1960 and I chase most conversation through Deepl (as I'm sure everyone has noticed) 🤣 . I have a hard time following a lot of what you say, but I want to learn. The right accessories for the heat set inserts I had also procured, because I find their use very interesting. I learned technical drawing on the board in a previous life, so CAD is new territory. But I am a precision mechanic and mechanical engineer, so I have at least the technical understanding.
I'm looking forward to broadening my horizons here.
The pictures look great by the way 👍 .

ReplyQuote
Share: